Elon Musk & his accomplishments are remarkable.
Here is a quick article, highlights below:
- After college, Musk was accepted to a doctorate program in applied physics and materials science at Stanford University in 1995.
- He dropped out the first week to start Zip2, developing software for media companies. Compaq Computer acquired the company in 1999 for $341 million — the largest cash transaction involving an Internet company to that point.
- After Zip2, Musk founded X.com, a financial service firm that merged with another company to form PayPal in 2000.
- The $180 million he once had in the bank from the sale of Pay-Pal to eBay for $1.5 billion in 2002 was about gone. Beyond his initial plans, Musk had put $100 million into SpaceX, $70 million into Tesla and $10 million in Solar City.
- In September 2008, right when prospects seemed so gloomy, the fourth launch of a SpaceX rocket produced a 365-pound capsule that orbited Earth. SpaceX achieved another milestone this past May when it launched the Dragon capsule, docked it with the space station and delivered 1,000 pounds of goods for the station’s astronauts, before bringing it home safely.
- Tesla recently introduced its Model S, a sedan and its first mass-market vehicle. The firm went public two years ago and has seen its stock rise almost 70%. An all-electric SUV is up next.
- Solar City, whose investors include Google (GOOG), has a five-year plan to build more than $1 billion in solar energy projects. It is also mulling an IPO.
“When you do something important and new, you need to boil things down to the fundamental truths and reason up from there.”
Sarah Lacy interview with Elon Musk below.